Friendly Visitors Program For St. Mary's Parishioners
· This service provides a volunteer team of two persons to alternately visit an isolated, homebound senior, physically disabled adult, or person on a regular basis.
·Friendly Visiting is intended to help individuals maintain social interaction with the faith community and help relieve loneliness.
· Visits are made to the parishioner’s home. Visits are generally done in person, but can be complimented by telephone calls in some instances.
· Friendly Visitors will visit on a regular basis and do things such as read to a client, write letters, play cards or other games, or sit and share a cup of tea.
· The frequency, duration, and regularity of the visits are mutually agreed upon by client and volunteer. Visits will occur no less than one time per month, and no more than one time per week. Visits are generally 30 minutes.
· Initial commitment to this ministry is one year.
· Parishioners wishing to receive this service must understand that Friendly Visitors are not homemakers, personal support workers, or respite workers, and have received no training as such. Friendly Visitors have not volunteered for household chores, to make meals or to care for the very ill. If it appears that those kinds of services are required by a person, but are not being provided, notify the Director of Pastoral Care who will follow up and try to identify the source of needed service.
If you wish to become a Friendly Visitor, or to request visitation by a parish team, please contact the Director of Pastoral Care, Jane Najour or 354-3726 X 121.